Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Road to RuffleCon

So, if you haven't figured out by now, I'm not much of a blogger. I have trouble remembering to write down my thoughts in a format longer than a Facebook post, but I'd like to try something new for the year ahead. This year, I and my indie brand, Atelier Sucré, have applied to be a designer at the RuffleCon fashion show. If you aren't familiar with RuffleCon, it's the northeast's largest alternative fashion convention, with a heavy focus on Lolita, other J-fahions, Steampunk, and Western Goth.



To qualify for the show, designers must showcase at least 4 looks. I would like to make a line of 18th Century inspired dresses and accessories. If I am accepted to the show, I'll be making 1 Rococo-inspired robe a la anglaise JSK, one chemise a la reine OP, one JSK a la polonaise, a polonaise corset skirt, a bolero, a pierrot jacket, and a redingote jacket between now and October. I may also do a ouji coordinate of breeches and a vest to match one of these. There will also be two bonnets, a canotier, a tricorn, and a bergere for headwear. At least two of these coords are going to be made with silk, and all will be fairly ambitious sewing projects. As I work on my projects, I'd like to document my progress with them here. Since I have approximately 6 months (not including my vacations) to work on these (in addition to looking for full-time work and doing commissions), I've got a mildly ambitious timeline planned.

I am planning to do a mockup of the chemise a la reine by middle April. I have a polyester youryu fabric selected for this that should drape nicely (though a little differently than the silk), and I'm excited to make a copy for myself.

 

By the beginning of May, I'd like to have the majority of my fabric for this project sourced and purchased. Most of what I use will either be pure silk or cotton sateen. I am planning an expedition to the Garment District in New York City with East Coast Pocket Princess' Jessi for an epic fabric hunt sometime at the end of April, and whatever I cannot find there will be purchased locally or online.

 

My first project will be a Mme. de Pompadour inspired Rococo JSK and bolero in rose pink silk with lace engageants, an echelle of ribbons, and scalloped ruffle trim. I'd like this project done by mid June. This will likely take the longest due to the amount of detail work and all the yards of ruffles that I'll have to make. 

My second project will be a fully shirred one piece done in the style of a chemise a la reine. This project will be done entirely in striped white silk and will be paired with a hard-brimmed bonnet. I may create a veil to go with this dress as well, as I ultimately see it being used as a wedding dress. This dress should be the simplest of all of them, and I'd like it to be done by early July at the latest.

My third project will be a JSK a la polonaise (a type of bustle-back dress), with a flounced skirt and perhaps a matching pierrot jacket, like the one in the picture below. I'm not yet sure of the color yet, but it will either be a dusty purple, or French blue. This should be done by mid August.
  



My last project will be a 1790's inspired corset skirt in yellow silk with a redingote, which is a type of jacket that was used for riding. I think I'd really like a tricorn hat with this.  I'd like this project done before I go on vacation in early September.

Any additional time between the end of my vacation and RuffleCon will be dedicated to accessories and remaining millinery work.

I hope you'll stay tuned as I update my blog with WIP shots and other details of my progress.

♡ Kristen








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments civil and work-safe! Thanks :D